The Variations/FRBR project at Indiana University (http://vfrbr.info) is
pleased to announce the release of an initial set of XML Schemas for the
encoding of FRBRized bibliographic data. The Variations/FRBR project aims to
provide a concrete testbed for the FRBR conceptual model, and these XML Schemas
represent one step towards that goal by prescribing a concrete data format that
instantiates the conceptual model. Our project has been watching recent work to
represent the FRBR-based Resource Description and Access (RDA) element
vocabulary in RDF; however, due to the fact that this work represents RDA data
rather than FRBR data directly, and that much metadata work in libraries
currently (though perhaps not permanently) operates in an XML rather than an
RDF environment, we concluded an XML-based format for FRBR data directly was
needed at this time. We view XML conforming to these Schemas to be one possible
external representation of FRBRized data, and will be exploring other!
  representations (including RDF) in the future. We define "implementing FRBR,"
as the conceptual models described in the companion FRBR and FRAD reports; at
this time we are not actively working on the model defined in the draft FRSAD
report. Perhaps the most notable feature of the Variations/FRBR XML Schemas is
their existence at three "levels": frbr, which embodies faithfully only those
features defined by the FRBR and FRAD reports; efrbr, which adds additional
features we hope will make the data format more "useful"; and vfrbr, which both
contracts and extends the FRBR and FRAD models to create a data representation
optimized for the description of musical materials and we hope provides a model
for other domain-specific applications of FRBR.

A User Guide with details on the structure of the Schemas and how they relate
to one another may be found at http://vfrbr.info/schemas/1.0/UserGuide.pdf, and
links to all Schemas and documentation may be found at
http://vfrbr.info/schemas/1.0. We hope this Schema release will lead to further
discussion of FRBR implementation issues within the community. Comments and
questions on the Variations/FRBR Schema release may be sent to
vf...@dlib.indiana.edu.

Variations/FRBR is generously funded through a National Leadership Grant from
the Institute of Museum and Library Services <http://www.imls.gov>.

(And a big kudos goes to the V/FRBR project team:
http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/vfrbr/people/index.shtml. Thanks to all of
you, and especially to Paul, Mark, and Ilias.)

Jenn

Jenn Riley
Metadata Librarian
Digital Library Program