Just to clarify, encoding identifiers as URI's, my suggestion, is NOT "externalizing the information under another URL". It is just picking a standard format for identifiers, the identifier format of the web, to re-use standards and cut down on custom vocabulary. If your 'simplebib' idea made sense, it could look like:

'simplebib' : {
   identifier:  info:isbn:1234556X
}

or identifier: info:oclcnum:whatever
etc.

Note that "info" URIs not only don't need to be "looked up from another URL" to "resolve" -- info URIs are actually un-resolvable! While the ASIN http URI is (sort of) resolvable, it still doesn't _need_ to be looked up to resolve. Nothing is externalized.

'simplebib' : {
  identifier:  http://amazon.com/asin/whatever
or whatever.

Likewise for "OpenURL". Despite the name, OpenURL is, in practice, a standard vocabulary/encoding for citation details, it is not a method of 'externalizing the information'. This is an OpenURL context object in KEV format that identifies a particular book:

rft.title=Manufacturing Consent&rft.au=Noam Chomsky&rft_id=info:isbn:whatever

Etc.

If you want to make up your own brand new citation format, then of course that is within your capabilities. It seems to me that trying to re-use as much infrastructure that already exists is good. Even if that's just re-using URI infrastructure (including info: URIs). Especially if you expect anyone other than you to 'adopt' this.

Jonathan

Tim Spalding wrote:
Unless someone can come up with a perfect pre-cooked format—one that
not only covers what we need but is also super easy and
space-efficient (we have only 1/2k to use!)—Why don't we just decide
on:

'simplebib' : {

}

and start filling in fields. I don't think it makes sense to
externalize the information under another URL, at least in the first
instance. That at least doubles the calls involved, and makes whatever
you build dependent on lots of external services that may or may not
work.

Best,
Tim