Ethan, have you considered Getty's Thesaurus of Geographic Names?  It does
provide a geographic hierarchy, although the data for Athens they provide isn't
quite the one you've described:

http://www.getty.edu/vow/TGNHierarchy?find=athens&place=&nation=&prev_page=1&english=Y&subjectid=7001393

This vocabulary is available in XML here:

http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/vocabularies/obtain/index.html

I have looked at it but not used it; it's a big tangled mess of XML.

MODS mimics a hierarchy (the subject/hierarchicalGeographic element has these
children: continent, country, province, region, state, territory, county, city,
island, area, extraterrestrialArea, citySection). The VRA Core location element
provides a similar mapping.

I try to stay away from Dublin Core, but I did venture onto the DC Terms page
just now and saw TGN listed in the vocabulary encoding schemes there, so
probably someone has implemented it.

Karen

Karen D. Miller
Monographic/Digital Projects Cataloger