Hi Jonathan,
We’ve been using OpenSeadragon recently.  We’ve implemented this in Spotlight
as well as have been using it in redesign of SearchWorks.

You can get more info on OSD at http://openseadragon.github.io/ and the
ruby-gem that we’ve been using at https://github.com/IIIF/openseadragon-rails

I believe this will work not only w/ large images, but specified tiles, as well
as a IIIF support out-of-the-box.

- Jessie