If you're looking to compile your own data, Zotero is a great way to
do it and provides an API.  I recently moved our faculty publications
database into it.

If you're looking to compile data, though I hate to suggest it, is
there an API for google scholar?  It's not a perfect resource, but for
humanities and social sciences, I've found some publications for our
faculty that they hadn't given me themselves.

Laura Pope Robbins
Professor/Reference Librarian
Dowling College