SOLVED

Problem 1: ubuntu python compiled with _bsddb missing.
Problem 2: python will not compile with latest version of berkeley db
Problem 3: codezero db files are built usinig version 4.6 of berkeley bsddb
which is known buggy and explicitly shunned by python.
Problem 4: changing python on ubuntu oneiric really honks the distro

Fixed my problem with the following steps. Hope this helps somebody.

1) Download and install python versions 4.5 and 4.6 from:
http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.5.20.tar.gz
http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/db-4.6.21.tar.gz

use the default configure options as it installs in a specific
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.5 directory that Python expects
This order is required

#build python supported berkeley db
cd
rm -Rf db-*
tar -xzf Downloads/db-4.5.20.tar.gz
cd db-4.5.20/build
../dist/configure
sudo make install

# build local copy of python linked against berkeley db 4.5
cd
rm -Rf Python*
tar -xjf Python-2.7.2.tar.bz2
cd Python-2.7.2
./configure
make
# do not make install

#install berkeley 4.6 so we can recover the codezero configuration files
cd
tar -xzf Downloads/db-4.6.21.tar.gz
cd db-4.6.21/build
../dist/configure
sudo make install

# recover the configuration files
cd
rm -Rf codezero*
tar -xjf Downloads/codezero-toolkit-v0.5.0-full.tar.bz2
cd codezero-toolkit-v0.5.0-full/codezero-toolkit/prebuilt
mv configuration configuration4.6
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.6/bin/db_dump configuration4.5 |
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.5/bin/db_load configuration4.5
cp configuration4.5 configuration

# now run the build.py using the local copy of python
export PATH=~/Python-2.7.2:$PATH
which python
python -V
cd
cd codezero-toolkit-v0.5.0-full/codezero-toolkit/prebuilt
python build.py