Colext/Macondo
Cantina virtual de los COLombianos en el EXTerior

Mi pregunta es, ¿a quién le aplicaríamos el epíteto de "freedom fighter" y a
quién el de "terrorist" (sea como sea que traduzcamos en chibcholombiano) si
estuviéramos en estos momentos en LoCulombia?

PANG========
====================================
Subject: Difference between terrorist and freedom fighter a fine one

http://www.insidedenver.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_8389
51

 Who is a terrorist and who is a freedom fighter?
That question will bedevil our government and many of its uneasy allies as
they pursue what President Bush promises will be a global war on terrorism.

Osama bin Laden was a "freedom fighter" when the CIA-backed mujahideen were
waging war on the Soviet occupiers of Afghanistan. Now he's a terrorist
condemned by all but a few rogue nations.

Yet in his own perverted logic he's still a freedom fighter, seeking to free
the holy land of Saudi Arabia from "occupation" by American troops, from
American "exploitation" of its oil and from a "corrupt" and "godless" Saudi
royal family.

He also is trying to free Iraq from U.S. sanctions and aerial bombardment;
Palestine from Israeli occupation; Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Morocco, Algeria
and other pro-Western Arab nations from their secular rulers; Bosnian
Muslims
and Kosovo Albanians from domination by Christian Serbs; Chechen Muslims
from
rule by Russia; Filipino Muslims from rule by the Catholic majority;
Kashmiri
Muslims from Hindu rule; Muslim Uighurs from Chinese rule; Indonesian
Muslims
from having to share some of their islands with Indonesian Christians; and
Central Asian Muslims from their post-Soviet bosses.

Bin Laden's alliances with other terrorist groups give him a seemingly
endless list of causes. There is even a suspicion that he has armed, trained
or funded the Irish Republican Army, though no one can explain why an
Islamic
fundamentalist with almost unlimited wealth would want to involve himself in
a conflict between Catholics and Protestants.

Pakistan, which supported the Taliban's takeover of Afghanistan and, by
extension, bin Laden's al-Qaida network of terrorist bases, has turned
against both, winning Bush's gratitude and a host of financial rewards for
joining the American-led coalition.

But Pakistan still provides bases, arms, funding and military support for
Muslim "freedom fighters" in Kashmir. India calls them "terrorists."
Monday's
suicide car bombing at the Srinagar legislature, which killed 38 people, was
certainly a terrorist act, which makes them legitimate targets of Bush's
war.
But do we really want to take sides in the Indo-Pakistani rivalry?

We were on the same side as bin Laden in supporting Balkan "freedom
fighters." When Slobodan Milosevic was in charge of what's left of
Yugoslavia, the United States armed and trained Bosnian Muslims and later
Kosovo Albanians battling the Serbs. So did bin Laden, who sent several
hundred mujahideen to establish a European beachhead for his holy war.

The Serbs, of course, couldn't understand why we were helping what they
called Muslim "terrorists" -- not only terrorists but drug smugglers who
funded their struggle for a Greater Albania by bringing Afghan heroin to
Europe. And they were outraged when we bombed Yugoslavia to save the Kosovo
Liberation Army from almost certain defeat by Serbian forces.

There is no question that the KLA worked hand-in-glove with the Albanian
mafia, which was heavily involved in the drug trade, a fact conveniently
overlooked by Washington as long as the Albanian guerrillas were
destabilizing Milosevic's regime. They only became "terrorists" after the
KLA
metamorphosed into the National Liberation Army and turned its sights on
Macedonia.

The Kurds are "terrorists" when they wage war against the government of NATO
ally Turkey but "freedom fighters" when they take on Saddam Hussein in
northern Iraq. The Shiites in southern Iraq also are "freedom fighters" in
opposing Saddam but risk being labeled "terrorists" if they align themselves
with neighboring Iran.

President Bush's father encouraged both groups to rise up against Saddam
after the Gulf War, but did nothing to help them when the Iraqi dictator
crushed both rebellions. The fear then was that Iraq would disintegrate
along
ethnic lines, leaving a weak Sunni center, a powerful Kurdish north that
would prove troublesome to Turkey and a Shiite south joining or allied with
Iran.

The Palestinians regard themselves as "freedom fighters" against Israeli
occupation, a view shared by all the nations of the Middle East. Although
most Arab and Islamic countries have offered at least moral support for
Bush's war on terrorism, they draw a clear distinction between bin Laden's
brand of international terrorism and Palestinian "resistance."

Yet suicide bombings by Hamas and Islamic Jihad -- such as the ones that
blew
up a disco crammed with Israeli teen-agers and a pizza parlor filled with
mothers and children -- were heinous terrorist acts criticized by many in
the
Palestinian community.

There has, in fact, been considerable debate among Palestinian clerics and
senior officials in Yasser Arafat's Palestinian Authority about what is a
legitimate target. Some say all Israelis are fair game because they
represent
a "foreign occupying power." Others say only settlers and the Israeli
military should be hit, with attacks limited to occupied territory -- i.e.,
the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Arafat, for one, says Israel proper and Israeli civilians should be left
unharmed. He claims to have no control over the Islamic terrorists of Hamas
and Islamic Jihad; Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon says he does and
calls
him "our bin Laden." But Sharon failed to persuade Bush to reject Arafat's
offer of help in the war on terrorism, and the Palestinian leader is now a
member of the coalition.

Will we go after Arafat if members of his own Fatah organization commit some
terrorist outrage against Israelis? And will we go after Syria for hosting
the so-called "Rejection Front," another coalition of Palestinian groups
opposed to Arafat and opposed to making peace with the Jewish state?

Both actions would set the Arab world against us, exposing us to more
terrorism, perhaps, than bin Laden could manage.

Hezbollah, a Lebanese Shiite militia sponsored by Iran, is clearly a
terrorist organization. It kidnapped 90 foreigners in the 1980s, including
17
Americans; blew up our embassay, Marine barracks and French military
quarters
in Beirut and, more recently, is said to have formed an alliance with
al-Qaida. It may even have been involved in the Sept. 11 atrocity.

Does that mean we go after Iran, and get every Shiite in the world on our
backs?

For that matter, do we go after the IRA or militant Protestant groups after
the next terrorist attack in Northern Ireland? Do we help the Russians fight
their Chechen "terrorists?" And do we help China suppress its Muslim
"terrorists" in Xinjiang Province?

Bush has to be very careful that his war on terrorism does not come to be
seen as a war on Islam, something that would play right into the terrorists'
hands. He also has to be careful not to get sucked into other people's
liberation wars simply because the governments they are fighting call them
"terrorist."

But it is hard to see how Bush can avoid it after telling all the nations of
the world: "You're either with us or against us." Some of those who are with
us will doubtless ask him to put his money -- or his troops -- where his
mouth is.

Holger Jensen is international editor. E-mail:  October 4, 2001