By my experience separate collectd daemons are possible. I am
compiling it from scratch and all it needs besides the installed files
(binaries etc. ) is config file, pid file and potentially unix socket
file. Now if you create 2 separate configs which both point to
/var/lib/collectd (example) but each handle it's own rrd files I
believe it should not be a problem.

Managing two separate daemons with the same name by startup scripts is
another "happy hacking hour" but it is not impossible, actually far
from it:)

b.

PS: You can specify distinguishing config files and pid files on the
command line.