Hi Rishi,

> P.S. - What credentials are required for commenting on an issue in Jira

It's open source.  I'd say none :)

My feature request is for a regular hadoop clusters whereas yours is pretty
unique.
Not sure if that Jira applies to your need or not.

Koji

On 1/31/11 9:21 AM, "rishi pathak" <mailmaverick...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Koji,
           Thanks for opening feature request. Right now for the purpose stated
earlier
I have upgraded to hadoop to 0.21. , and trying to see if creating individual
leaf level queues for every tasktracker and changing the state of it to
'stopped' before the expiry of the walltime. Seems like it will work for now.

P.S. - What credentials are required for commentiong on an issue in Jira

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM, Koji Noguchi <knogu...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
Rishi,

> Using exclude list for TT will not help as Koji has already mentioned

It'll help a bit in a sense that no more tasks are assigned to that TaskTracker
once excluded.

As for TT decommissioning and map outputs handling, opened a Jira for further
discussion.

Koji

On 1/29/11 5:37 AM, "rishi pathak" <mailmaverick...@gmail.com
<http://mailmaverick...@gmail.com> > wrote:

HI,
    Here is a description of what we are trying to achieve(whether it is
possible or not is still not cear):
We have large computing clusters used majorly  for MPI jobs. We use PBS/Torque
and Maui for resource allocation and scheduling.
At most times utilization is very high except for very small resource pockets
of say 16 cores for 2-5 Hrs. We are trying establish feasibility of using these
small(but fixed sized) resource pockets for nutch crawls. Our configuration is:

# Hadoop 0.20.2 (packaged with nutch)
#Lustre parallel filesystem for data storage
# No HDFS

We have JT running on one of the login nodes at all times.
Request for resource (nodes=16, walltime=05 Hrs.) is made using batch system
and as a part of job TTs are provisioned. The problem is, when a job expires,
user processes are cleaned up and thus TT gets killed. With that, completed and
running map/reduce tasks for nutch job are killed and are rescheduled. Solution
could be as we see it:

1. As the filesystem is shared(& persistent),  restart tasks on another TT and
make intermediate task data available. i.e. sort of checkpointing.
2. TT draining - based on a speculative time for task completion, TT whose
walltime is nearing expiry will go into draining mode.i.e. no new tasks will be
scheduled on that TT.

For '1', it is very far fetched(we are no Hadoop expert)
'2' seems to be a more sensible approach.

Using exclude list for TT will not help as Koji has already mentioned
We looked into capacity scheduler but did'nt find any pointers. Phil, what
version of hadoop
have these hooks in scheduler.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 3:34 AM, phil young <phil.wills.yo...@gmail.com
<http://phil.wills.yo...@gmail.com> > wrote:
There are some hooks available in the schedulers that could be useful also.
I think they were expected to be used to allow you to schedule tasks based
on load average on the host, but I'd expect you can customize them for your
purpose.