On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 21:57, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> i'm in favour of adding compiling the examples as part of the tests. (it'd
> be even better to have some unit tests for them, maybe as example unit
> tests for newbie developers)
>
> rationale: there's nothing worse when trying to learn a new library than
> mistakes in the examples.
>
> the only downside (that i can think of) is that people may need to convert
> relative to absolute paths in their build.properties file (or we come up
> with something clever...).
>
> comments?

+1 to compiling the examples as part of the tests.

I think there needs to be a way to compile the examples without
compiling the tests, though, because many users of Digester won't have
junit.jar installed, and won't know what all the test output means.

It would be great to have the tests actually verify that the examples
work. Not sure how that could be done, though.

Simon