At 22:39 -0400 9/27/03, Henri Yandell wrote:
I'm interested in the convert stuff. Especially the Object->String stuff.

First a question on Dates. Why not support for java.util.Date? It seems
that there's not much point having SqlDateConverter, it should just be
DateConverter based on util.Date.

The trick is that there's no universal conventions for formatting regular dates as strings, while java.sql.Date has a "valueOf(String)" method which adheres to a well-defined format standard.

It's easy enough to write a Converter implementation that is seeded with a SimpleDateFormat pattern-string, but it's also possible that you'd need to deal with dates in more than one format, especially if you are dealing with times as distinct from dates.

I've worked around with a custom converter as described above, but I've never come up with a good solution for a general framework for it.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "We want beef in dessert if we can get it there."
-- Betty Hogan, Director of New Product Development, National Cattlemen's Beef Association