Wow, how did I miss this?  I wonder what we can do with this and
commons-resources and/or Apache Struts.

In my current gig we are using a home grown solution in combination with
ActionErrors/ActionMessages provided by Struts.  This project would have
been nice to have about 8 months ago.

My immediate needs (scratching my own itch here) would be to help provide
greater granularity for application messaging (similar to log levels) and
perhaps a jsp taglib or two to help take advantage of this in my apps (this
would probably go under Apache Struts contrib).

So, with that said, I would like to volunteer to help with this project.
Off the top of my head what I would like to do is:
a) offer the same solution with the following alternate implementations:
 - properties file based configuration (more on this later)
 - RDBMS based configuration (I've already done this in commons-resources)

b) Develop a Struts plug-in that will load and configure commons-i18n for my
Struts applications.
     (I guess I could just add this as a plug-in under struts)

c) The types of LocalizedMessages or LocalizedExceptions I can use are the
following:
    - System error
    - Error
    - Warning
    - Alert
    - Flag
    - Info

d) I would like to add an entry like:
     <entry key="small-icon">/images/some-icon-small.jpg</entry>
   (also one for large-icon)

e) New MessageManager impl that can assemble messages based on a config file
who's entries simply point to existing i18n'd properties file(s) keys.  (I
will provide more details for this on my ShortTermPlans page
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ShortTermPlansForJamesMitchell)

General questions:
Is there any reason you did not use commons-logging?  Can we change this to
commons since it will (by default) delegate to the appropriate logging
framework (let's eat our own dogfood)?

Any reason you are using xml-importer instead of digester?  I've read the
docs on sf.net, but the advantages still aren't clear to me (I'm guessing it
was just a personal choice made some time ago and you just stayed with it).
Can we change this to use either (or use commons-configuration)?

Have you thought about Spring integration?

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.