Hi, Frank,

--- F Norin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Note: There are also distributions that are neither discrete, continuous
> > > or a mixture of the two. For example, there are numerous distributions
> > > based upon the Cantor ternary sets.
> >
> > Practical counter-examples like what you have above are more compelling ;-)
>
> Sure, a standard example of a Cantor ternary set distribution can be created
> like this:
[deletia]
> Distributions like this are actually used in practical applications as
> probability models within fields such as biophysics, molecular biology and
> quantum mechanics.

Do you have any references for the quantum physics cases?  I certainly didn't
specialize in quantum physics (plasma physics typically uses almost everything
_but_ quantum physics), but I did get as far as a EE graduate course in QED and
never encountered such probability models.  Maybe it's because I wasn't in a
physics department or ever really encountered molecular models in what I was
studying?

Honestly, I doubt most of the users of Commons Math will be needing this kind
of distribution, but I guess if we merge in (parts of) Colt, we might end up
attracting that kind of user.  In any case, I learned something new today,
which is cool.

Al