On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 21:05 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 17:42 -0400, Sandy McArthur wrote:

<snip>

> > > it might (however) stop a user doing something equivalent through
> > > carelessness or naivity. so probably worth doing. would need to add a
> > > note to the documentation since this would change the semantics.
> > > opinions?
> >
> > I have a number of pending patches: http://tinyurl.com/cauwd that I'd
> > like to see commited or rejected as I'm starting to feel no one cares
> > about them and it's becoming a pain to maintain my own patched pool
> > version.
>
> most of the committers listed in the project.xml aren't that active in
> the commons any more :-/
>
> re: 33264, 36719, 36904, 37153
>
> these all suffer from issues with backward compatibility. i'd like to
> have a little think and then move the discussion to a new thread.

there are a couple of issues which i needed a bit of time to think
about.

IMHO these changes will improve pool (though some details need more
discussion) but are not backwards compatible with the existing 1.x
releases. so, if these are applied pool would need to be moved forward
to 2.0. moving to 2.0 open doors for other revisions.

the recent synchronization fixes are important so one more 1.x release
would also be needed.

i created a new branch from trunk (before committing the above patches).
the trunk version is now 2.0-dev. all of these patches (save the
collections one) have now been committed. i've haven't committed the
collections patch since i wonder whether it might be better to break the
dependency entirely.

as always, opinions encouraged :)

a more significant issue is that pool really seems short of an active
development community. there are patches from developers out there and
the existing committers haven't been very active for a while. so,
perhaps all that's needed is an effort to restart active development.

i'm stretched pretty thin already. so, i'd need some help from
developers to kick start pool developmen. this might lead to 1.3 and 2.0
releases. any volunteers interested?

- robert