On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 21:11 +0100, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > or should we try to create a POM for commons-logging-api or perhaps both?
>
> not sure
>
> the API works best as a virtual dependency. it can be satisfied by JCL
> 1.0.x, 1.1.x, by ceki's adapter or by Torsten's null implementation. not
> sure whether maven 2 handles this ATM.

Not sure what you mean by "a virtual dependency". I think the api jar
should never be used as a dependency by anyone; it's really only for the
use of tomcat.

If other people provide jars that define classes o.a.c.l.Log and
LogFactory, then that can be used as a dependency *instead* of depending
on anything from the commons-logging group. Is that what you meant?

> but the API jar contains more than is necessary for this purpose.
> probably carlos is right that all the dependencies need to be marked as
> optional but the full JCL jar shipped.
>
> not sure...

I'd agree with this. Just mark all dependencies as optional.

I've put the same comments on the original JIRA issue:
  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV-392

Regards,

Simon