On Mon, 2006-05-29 at 12:35 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Simon Kitching wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 00:03 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >>[I haven't created an SVN tag for the RC1. Is there any particular
> >>reason the release info says to create a tag?]
> > Making a tag in subversion has exactly the same price as checking in one
> > new file, ie is trivial. I think the existing release advice is
> > therefore good; creating a tag for an RC should be the regular
> > practice.
>
> Personally I don't like the resulting 'tag clutter'. Is there any way in
> SVN to remove dead tags?

Sure; "svn rm". A tag is just a directory (well, actually, just an entry
in the parent directory that points to a specific "inode").

For RCs from releases before the current one, I think deleting them
seems reasonable (eg when 1.2 is released, remove 1.0 RC tags). I'd
prefer to keep RC tags for at least one release though. If you don't
like them in the main "tags" directory, they could be pushed down into a
special "RC" directory....

Of course "delete" just makes them not visible in the head revision; the
"tag" directory is still there if you look for it.

Cheers,

Simon