On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 13:08 -0700, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 7/28/06, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Tapestry is thinking of switching to SL4J instead of Jakarta Commons
> > Logging:
>
> I've been meaning to ask... is there really much reason for a JDK 1.4+
> application/library to depend on commons-logging?
>
> Sure you could argue that log4j is more powerful, but the same could
> be said of ORO. Increasingly people just aren't going to care. We're
> starting to talk about moving to 1.3 so we can get the regexp support
> without a dependency ([io] for example), when do we start talking
> about 1.4 so we can drop the commons-logging dependencies?

If I were writing a 1.4+ library or app, I'd just use java.util.logging
directly.

Which reminds me: is the JULI implementation of the java.util.logging
API (used in tomcat) available as an independent library? If not, maybe
it is worth extracting it as a project of the logging.apache.org group?

Regards,

Simon