On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 00:39 +0100, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Steve Cohen wrote:
> [PROPOSAL]
> As such, I would like to propose that projects creating a JDK1.5 only
> release should use a new package name. Thus, in this case, the release
> would use the package  org.apache.commons.net5.*.
>
> With this change, a user can have both the old and the new commons-net
> jars in their classpath without any conflicts. Note that these users may
> be different OSS projects, which may upgrade at different times.

As Steve Cohen notes, I'd also be interested to see what features of
commons-net really benefit from a 1.5-compatible release.

However in general it seems a good time for commons to start releasing
code using 1.5 features where there is a benefit to the user. Java 1.5
is now well-established and the features are truly useful.

And I'm +1 to a new package name when doing so (as steve Colebourne
suggests) , to allow the old and new versions to co-exist.

I agree that requiring all apps to have *either* net 1.x or net 2.x in
the path, but not both, will cause a great deal of pain, and will
probably slow the adoption of the new net version.

BTW, It would be great if Java had some other mechanism for handling
multiple versions of the same library (as Microsoft's CLR has I
believe)..

Cheers,

Simon