HttpClient RC 2.0 64-bit Solaris 8 JDK 1.3.1_09

I am seeing lots of sockets in CLOSE_WAIT, despite the fact that "postMethod.releaseConnection();" is called.
This has happened so far against 2 of our ( different ) clients' webservers, mostly to Tomcat / Coyote.
The problem with CLOSE_WAIT sockets do not seem to be happening against Orion.
What happens in the long run is that I run of file descriptors

I am now able to reproduce the same problem against the client's test webservers ...
but in turnin on logging, the logging is not being logged on stdout.

In order to give meaningful results to this list about my CLOSE_WAIT problem,
I wrote a small class and script to replicate the problem, but still no logging.
Here is the sample shell script run on cygwin:

CLASSPATH=classes
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH\;/cvs/softgame-latest/development/lib/commons-httpclient.jar
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH\;/cvs/softgame-latest/development/lib/commons-logging.jar
REM CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH\;/cvs/softgame-latest/development/lib/log4j.jar

java \
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.SimpleLog \
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.showdatetime=true \
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.httpclient.wire=debug \
-Dorg.apache.commons.logging.simplelog.log.org.apache.commons.httpclient=debug \
$JAVA_DEFINES -classpath $CLASSPATH HttpClientTest

Help !

Regards,

John