Progress - just moved the GetMethod constructor down below the logging details. Now, though I still get a cache MISS at first, I don't get an authentication refusal. I also tried moving the credential details higher than the host configuration, but that didn't make any difference.

Madeleine

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

Bob,
You are absolutely right about method.getHostConfiguration() taking
precedence over client.getHostConfiguration(). However, HttpClient does
copy the proxy information from the agent host config to the method host
config. So, that should not be the reason for proxy problems Madeleine
has been having.

We realize this can be horribly confusing. As of release 3.0 the use of
HttpMethod#getHostConfiguration() will be deprecated and discouraged

Oleg