I just had the same problem!

Try to use MultiPartEMail instead of SimpleEMail:

e.g.:

MultiPartEmail email = new MultiPartEmail();
email.setHostName(smtpServer);
email.addTo(to);
email.setSubject(subject);
email.setCharset("UTF-8");
email.setMsg(text);
email.setFrom(from);
String result = email.send();

sideeffekt will be that there is an attachment symbol when receiving such an email! but that is much better that scrambled characters....

hope that will help you and the folks that will come.....

greetz, ToM

Ron Piterman schrieb:
Hi,
I am trying to send a playin/text message with some iso-8859-1 letters like äüß aso, I set the charset property of the SimpleEmail object to "iso-8859-1", but it does not get to the header, so the email get "scrubmled", displaying question marks instead of these characters...

The header includes a content-type:
text/plain; charset=UTF-8

is there something I am doing wrong?

Is there any specific time one should set the charset (i am doing it just after instanciating)?

Cheers,
Ron