From: Adrian Sutton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 1:03 AM
To: 'Jakarta Commons Users List'
Subject: RE: [httpclient] URL encoding

The rational is that we're almost guaranteed to get the encoding wrong.
Essentially the encoding process normalizes the URL so that it can be
interpreted, which is why you have to encode the URL at all.  To illustrate
the point, try to correctly encode something like:

http://host/path?name=value?test=okay

there's no way to tell if the ? and = signs are part of the path or the
query.  The same problem applies when there's only one ? because you'd
normally assume it should mark the start of the query but that would then
make it impossible to send a request to a path that contains an ? character.

There's probably a way to get around those problems and intelligently encode
but it was decided to keep it simple and obvious or we'd wind up spending
too much time trying to explain the odd behaviour.

We do of course, provide the URLUtils class (I think the name is right)
which will encode the URL for you.

Glad to hear you're not seeing the encoding problem anymore, do let us know
if it resurfaces so we can fix it - I never have managed to reproduce it
here.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton, Software Engineer
Ephox Corporation