Stephen McConnell wrote:

> William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Stephen McConnell wrote:
> > >  * What do you think is the role of a PMC in our decision
> > >    making process?
> > They have absolute decision making process within the board's
> > mandate for their project.

> According to Greg Stein this should not be the case.  Greg holds to the
> opinion that the appointed Chair is the PMC and that the members are
> simply an artificial construct.

> I should point out that Greg's position seems to contradict section 6.3
> of the bylaws in that it is stated that a PMC is a committee with a
> designated chairman.  The bylaws also seem to clearly state that the
> committee is responsible for active management.

Actually, it says that the that the PMC shall consist of at least one
officer of the corporation, who shall be designated the PMC Chair, and who
"shall be primarily responsible for project(s) managed by such committee,
and he or she shall establish rules and procedures for the day to day
management of project(s) for which the committee is responsible."

> [The PMC Chair] actively and publicly took actions without consulting
> the Avalon PMC and on at least one occasion justified this on the
> grounds that the PMC would not agree with his position.

Aaron consulted with the PMC on every occasion that I can recall.  In the
case of migrating Phoenix to SVN, you can hardly claim that he made a
unilateral decision.  Probably more than anyone, I am the resident
pain-in-arse about preserving ALL history, which I consider a corporate
asset.  And I am absolutely unapologetic about

>   a) the lack of accountability of the Chair towards the committee
>   b) the reluctance of the Board to properly recognize the PMC as
>      the responsible entity

You raised similar issues in the past.  If it comes down to it, the
Membership owns the Foundation.  The Foundation is run for the Public Good
as best we can, and those who demonstrate merit are invited to become
Members, Officers and Directors.

> a committee should have the ability to remove a chair

The PMC lacks the authority to do so.  Rather, the Chair has the authority
to remove members of the PMC.  The Chair does not report to the Committee.
The Chair reports to the Board and ultimately to the Membership.

        --- Noel