Serge Knystautas wrote:

> http://www.javalobby.org/java/forums/t18589.html
>
> Changes from GPL -> ASL 2.0 with the next release. The licensing shift
is interesting in an of itself (to me), but also might of interest to
ASF projects that may have avoided using it because of licensing
restrictions.

Where it started...
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/izpack-devel/2005-April/000998.html

Pats on the back to a couple of Apache committers Vincent and Trygve for
discussing this with those who were writing the Maven plugin for IzPack.

I've generally had a lot of luck asking projects to relicense
(especially one-man-team types as getting approval is obviously easier
:) I think a first instinct for a lot of people is to go for GPL because
it feels "safe", but generally once they understand the issues and pros
and cons of each, it's not a big deal to them. If anyone is ever unable
to use something because of a restrictive license, I'd encourage asking
the question of the developers about switching (unless you're talking
about something massive or with uncontactable contributors).

Cheers,
Brett