Hi Jukka,

The idea is not entirely new. In ApacheCon 2001, there was a "meet the
developer" corner where I met Erik Meade, the maintainer of Junit at
the time. He was interested in some log4j feature so we pair
programmed for about two hours. It was a memorable experience.

There was however a major downside to "meet the developer"
corner. Each volunteering developer had to be present for several
arbitrarily-set hours. So, I missed a couple of presentations waiting
for people to show up, like a shoe seller awaiting clients.  Very few
people showed up. I was lucky enough to meet Erik, so overall it was a
very good experience.

Assuming there would be WiFi access during the conference, instead of
the developers idly sitting around, a wiki page could be created to
allow interested attendees and developers to prearrange a time for
their meeting.

Cheers,

Jukka Zitting wrote:
Hi,

Here's an idea I came up with for the proposed Content/Web Technology
track in ApacheCon US 2009:

We'd reserve and mark a table or a corner of the Hackathon area as the
"Meet the developers" corner where conference attendees could come and
meet the speakers and other project committers in a semi-organized
manner. The "corner" would have a wiki page where people from various
projects can sign up so everyone will know when they'll be there and
what projects they know about. This should make it easier for users
and other interested people to connect with the developers. The corner
could also be used as a place for ad-hoc demos, hands-on tutorials,
etc. and I'd like to ask the speakers of this track to drop by the
corner for 10-15 minutes after their presentation for any followup
questions and discussions for which there wasn't enough time earlier.

If people like this idea, we could even expand it to cover the entire
conference instead of just a single track.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

--