On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM, William A. Rowe Jr. <wr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 9/23/2010 11:13 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:
>> The other thing I'd say is that the answers to these questions are
>> going to depend a lot on the particular developers in question. A
>> couple of people have commented here on how great it is to be able to
>> dig in and find the root cause of a bug, and even fix it. That's great
>> for us open source nuts. But the vast majority of developers don't
>> give a hoot about why a tool or library or whatever doesn't work,
>> whether it's open source or not - they just want it to work.
>
> See, that's the difference.

Well, yes and no. The question was about those who use or work with
open source, as I understand it. Whether those same people
_appreciate_ open source is somewhat different. (Or are you telling me
that I must not appreciate open source because I do have "ifs"
attached to where in the code I'll go, and won't dig in to fix a Linux
bug?)

Likewise, those who just need a dependency to work are not necessarily
depending on a vendor to fix it. It may be an open source dependency
and they may not have the time, the inclination, or the leeway from
their legal department, to fix it themselves.

--
Martin Cooper