That's called rhetorical questions. Those are GNU's opinions which are obviously and adamantly not shared.

-I- think it's entirely silly.

Xorg is as much "not a component" as GNU is.

If gnusense is "GNU/Linux" based on Ubuntu, then why have they stripped "Ubuntu" from the name? That's entirely hypocritical.

-david

Dave Crossland wrote:

The FAQ for your particular question is at
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html explains why this is not
silly, in depth.

I'm sorry if I've come across as making a silly suggestion - I am
being very earnest here.

I am not suggesting to call the system by my favourite component.
While the X Windowing System, GTK, and the Linux kernel are
components, "GNU" is not a component.

If the Free Software Foundation wants to
call something "GNU/Linux" that badly, let 'em put together their own
distribution and call it whatever they like.

www.gnewsense.org is FSF sponsored, and removes all proprietary
software from the Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution.