Andreas Kostyrka wrote:
To put it differently, there is at least one Linux based gadget that I
use, that I'd probably put some time into it (it's my sat receiver ;) ),
where I don't participate, because the community organizes around a
forum. Well, end effect the community is very static and very small, and
  slowly dieing :(
There you have it folks, unmistakable proof that forums kill communities. I mean if Andreas won't contribute to a forum, then it is most certainly doomed. :) (I kid, I kid)

Well, I've said it before and I will say it again. We are not wanting to kill the mailing lists!!! We are wanting to supplement the mailing list with a forum. I cannot see ANY reason why this would be a bad thing.