Ryan Prior wrote:
This really shows how little the OpenMoko community understands the
Neo. Why port Windows Mobile when we could be porting Windows 3.1?

Windows 3.1 is a lightweight OS which has excellent application
support from a broad and stable base of industry, and which has
successors which we know to be of excellent quality. As the
capabilities of future Neo phones increase, we have an upgrade path
which we know to be successful and an ever-expanding number of
applications supported.

The future is DOS - Windows 3.1

By an amazing coincidence (this being April 1, that is), somebody wrote a
HIMEM.SYS driver for UNIX (initially OpenBSD) and released it today.

From OpenBSD-Mickey's posting to tech@:
80s are back and so is HIMEM.SYS now for the modern 32bit
architecture known as i386 or "that intel crap."

yes as you can have guessed already it gives your >4G
memory another chance at life reincarnated as scsi disk.

        http://mickey.lucifier.net/himem.sys

you can read it write it and damn swap on it if you want!
credit shall be given to mpf for a productive discussion
where this most atypical concept had been born few months
ago and later became stations creation in about 30h (and
a bottle of port) and later debugged/tested in a few more
other more sober hours...

few caveats:
- man page coming soon!
- booting is not supported (yet);
- one needs to disklabel+newfs(or dd(2) some image) it before use;
- it will get some performance improvement;
- not stress-tested much (yet).

here is samples:
himem0 at root: size 768MB
scsibus2 at himem0: 1 targets
sd2 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <McIkye, HIMEM drive, 1.0> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd2: 768MB, 12 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 4096 bytes/sec, 196608 sec total