On 04/10/2010 05:20, Chuck Norris wrote:
03.10.2010 21:05, Joshua Judson Rosen пишет:
Alfa21<freerun...@my.is.it>  writes:
2010-09...@00:16 Chuck Norris
I've asked them about missing this feature.
Here are answer:

We do not have a 3G or GSM option because we do not want to force a
subscription on customers.  Instead we want to focus on using wifi and
free Skype calls.
"force subscription"?!
LOL... maybe they do not know what actually the word "option" means?
fool or fail? ;)
Well, `not wanting to force subscriptions' is actually the right answer
if it would have been an `either/or' choice.

More probably, it's because it's just not viable to include it in a
device that size at that price-range--there have been in-depths
discussions about this as it pertained to the FreeRunner, previously;
they're probably still applicable.

As far as the full-sized tablet goes, you could look into getting a
UMTS/HSDPA/whatever USB stick to connect to one of those internal USB ports.
I've seen ones that may be small enough for as low as $50 US, though
it's not obvious how well they'd work from inside the tablet.

last answer from Always Innovating to me was:

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware that many customers wish to have a GSM option available, and we do our best to satisfy as many customers as possible. Unfortunately, we currently do not have any plans to release a version of the Mini Book with GSM capabilities. If that possibility opens up to us in the future, we will be sure to make note of it on our website.
Argh, So sad....

Though, I'd like to know if the minibook is also Opensource hardware, so we can investigate on the way to insert a canibalized usb stick...

Asthro, Always inventive