> weak passwords

I also have been known to share this from time to time.

http://xkcd.com/936/

-----Original Message-----
From: community@mailsbestfriend.com [mailto:community@mailsbestfriend.com] On
Behalf Of Katie La Salle-Lowery
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:27 PM
To: community@mailsbestfriend.com
Subject: [MBF] Re: hijacked accounts

Yes, yes, and yes...

Hacked systems, weak passwords and tricksy emails or phone calls that get
people to divulge passwords are all parts of the equation.

A few months ago, Imail HAMR was disabling as many as 10 accounts per day on
our server.  A few weeks before had been that big password theft event.  A few
weeks later, the Open SSL exploit was big news.

Anyway, I sent this message at that time to every account we host (mailall
-ALL).  I send similar every few months...

" Over the past couple days, we have seen a pattern of greatly increasing
frequency of hijacked email accounts.  What this means is that
spammer/scammer/hacker types are gaining access to email accounts.  When they
do so, they then use those accounts to send vast amounts of spam, phishing
attacks, scam messages, etc.  When thresholds for the number of messages sent
from a single account in certain amounts of time are exceeded, our defense
systems automatically disable email accounts.
How do spammer/scammer/hacker types get passwords to hijack an email account?
Well, sometimes people make it too easy for them by using weak passwords.
Examples of weak passwords are simple English words, names, short strings of
numbers, etc.  An example of a strong password is one that contains at least 14
characters (more is better) and contains a mixture of upper and lower case
letters, numbers and symbols.  Another way that spammer/scammer/hacker bad guys
have harvested passwords in recent months has been through hacks on other
networks.  For example, in just one recent event, over 2 million LinkedIn,
Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Adobe, and SnapChat passwords were stolen.  If people
have the same password on those accounts and their email accounts, the hacker
is then able to hijack a person's email account as well.  If people also use
the same password on banking, credit card, payment systems, tax services, etc.,
those accounts are exposed as well.

So, what can you do to protect your email (and other online account) security?
1)  DO NOT use easy passwords.   Instead, create passwords that are a minimum
of 14 characters long  and that include a mixture of upper and lower case
letters, numbers and symbols.  Don’t include your name, your mother’s maiden
name, your pet’s name, your street name, your business name, etc. in your
password.  All of that information is too easily obtained online – particularly
if you use social media like Facebook, etc.
2) DO NOT use the same password for every online account.

When people use easy passwords and the same password for every online account,
they don’t just make it easy for themselves – they also make it easy for
hackers.

We urge all of our subscribers to protect all of their online accounts.  If you
use the same password on your LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Adobe, or
SnapChat accounts as other accounts, you should change your password everywhere
that the password was used.  When doing so, create strong passwords and don’t
use the same password on every online account.  Routinely changing passwords is
also recommended.

You can change your password for your email account by logging in at
http://mail.centric.net and clicking Action then Change Password.

As always, we also remind you to protect your personal and password
information.  Never give any personal, password or PIN information to anyone in
response to telephone, email or text communication that you did not initiate. "

Katie LaSalle-Lowery
ka...@centric.net
1120 S. Russell; Ste B
Missoula, MT 59801