Depending on your piece of land and who owns it (city or private) an above the
ground Backflow preventer may be required to stop possible contamination from
hoses and other irrigation devices connected to a city or water district's
water system.

Some agencies are ok with the small backflow device that can be attached to
EVERY hose bib (faucet) in the garden...that costs about $5 each; other
agencies require both.

On the above ground backflow preventer you may also need to put a cage around
it as the device is made of copper, and many times people cut off this device
for the copper value.  If your area freezes, you will also need to get an
insulated blanket for the above ground backflow preventer so it doesn't crack
in a hard freeze.

Also this device needs to be checked annually by the state to make sure that
its working (at least in California), this costs about $100 a year.

You can contact your local water agency or public works department for
information on backflow preventers and installation requirements for your area.

Price of devices, cages, blankets vary with the size of water service that you
have to your site - larger the pipe the higher the cost.  You may also need a
contractor to install it for you to agency standards.

As for grants.. you can always put it in any grant that you write, but some
grants dont fund infrastructure improvements, we have in the past got the back
flow preventer paid for by the council member - that of course varys too.

Bill Maynard
City of sacramento parks and recreation dept.