We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of building a compost bin (about 12'W
x 15'L x 4'H with a cement bottom.  On the one hand, we'd like the worms and
other organisms to reach the raw materials easily, without a floor.  On the
other hand, we are in Florida, and mature compost disappears quickly into our
sandy soil when compost sits right on the ground.

What is your community garden's compost bin or area like?  What factors made
you decide to construct a compost with or without a floor?

Catherine Dente
Culverhouse Community Garden
Sarasota FL