Catherine,

What type of composting system are you trying to set-up for Culverhouse?  If
you are simply wanting a place for vegetative waste to decompose by piling it
in a bin, then a bin of your dimensions might work.  If your are wanting to
actively compost, the size is going to be way to large to manage unless you
have a Bobcat or similar type of front-end loader to turn the material. You
will also need a chipper/ shredder for this size bin to work.

Gail and I have actively composted at Rosemary and Orange Blossom.  We have
also rescued the composting operation at Florida House on more than one
occassion.  Compost will happen, but a big mess that attracts racoons,
oppussums, rats, flies, roaches, and perpetuates plant pests and diseases is a
very strong possibility unless you are actively composting and managing the
system.

Earthworms will not colonize to the degree that they are effecient decomposers
in our climate and soil without a whole lot of help.  We have found that
vermi-composting is best managed seperately from general garden composting.

Actively composting will result in a much higher quality of finished compost in
an eight to ten week period of time.  Passive composting will result in a
product that is simply a pile of decomposed organic matter with very few
nutrients and little microbial life.  Many of the nutrients will leach from the
"pile" in a passive pile of decomposing vegetative waste regardless of whether
you have a concrete surface.

There are some excellent on-line and written materials on composting.  Most of
our libraries have the Rodale book on composting.  I would suggest that
everyone involved in your composting read the book from cover to cover.

We are expanding our compost operations soon if we get the funding and will be
offering another (expanded) composting training session in April if all goes
well.

Barbara
Orange Blossom Community Garden