I  could add that there are ways to stream line the work.  It will take
experience, a willingness to accept change!, cooperation  etc. In regards to
weeds  the trick is to out smart them.  Using adequate mulch will snuff out the
weeds and enrich the soil.  In my home garden I used newspaper and then straw.
It was labor intense as it is usually windy  in the spring. I think I may go
with just mulch next year.  the birds had a field day poking holes and flinging
newspaper while hunting their dinner.   In the community garden ( 14 beds
4'x50') we just used mulch of dried grass thatch, pine needles,  and straw.
Depending on what we had that day and some on how think or dense we needed it.
Onions got a light covering of straw as their tips were yellow from too much
moisture.  Some people chose to weed but I thought it was a waste of time. They
complained they spent so much time weeding last year it was over whelming.
Had they put the mulch on thick enough at the right time they would not have to
weed.  I actually got them to leave the plucked weeds in the beds to compost
back into the soil.  The weeds had not set seed.  This also was a time saver of
not adding it to a compost pile and flipping the compost.  We have some compost
piles that need tending to but time could be better spent having 1-2 raised
beds for composting on a large scale. Those beds could be used the following
year and then pick 2 other beds to enrich.  The garden being new is very
deficient organic matter.  I don't like the idea of using all animal manure to
enrich the soil as we are having problems with pH.   To help with moisture
control during germination I broke down and purchased a roll of light weight
fabric cover.  We did not have the drip water system installed( it is now) so
we had to hand water daily.  It also helped retain heat during the cold spring
improving the growth rate.  The beds are raised 2 ft off the ground with cement
block which could have increased the heat.  I don't like beds this high I think
it hurts your back. I do think different people work at different speeds.  Some
love to chat and stand around and not do  much. Some wasted work time went into
wrapping sisal twine just so which should have been done a lot earlier.  I did
a few beds wrapping twine  only to have another gardener unwrap it as it wasn't
just right.   So agreeing ahead of time which method is quickest, least labor
intensive will help.  Having a system of setting up poles to allow the climbing
veges to climb would make a lot of sense.  Since these were new beds there was
no though to hole we could put pole holder in the ground to accept the chain
link fence poles( recycled) or wooden stakes ( recycled from garden supply
store).  I also invested in garden netting for the crops to vine on.  It was
cheaper than sisal twing which will rot in 1-3 years.  I went with a USA made
netting guaranteed for lifetime.
http://www.amazon.com/Dalen-Gardeneer-30-Foot-Trellis-TP-30C/dp/B000BZ8FXS/ref=pd_sim_ol_2
  this is the best money I spent!!!! SO worth the $9.  You have to take care
taking it down but well worth it.  It will take a few trial and errors to come
up with the best methods.   I also think the number of people will depend on
how motivated the people are to eat good produce.    It can be very hard to
motivate people to join the ranks and sweat in the hot sun.  It means there has
to be a cheerleader!  A people mover!  There does seem to be some stragglers
who want to learn organic gardening but need lots of direction, teaching,
motivating. Lots of reading will help too in learning from different methods of
gardening the teach labor saving methods but maintain the quality of the
produce. I have been working on soil adjustments to increase my yield per
amount of work put in.  There is a problem with pH and over amount of something
locking up the soil preventing from a bigger harvest.  I'm working on it.  I'm
thinking less manure more kitchen compost. If you want more people you will
have to steal them away from what else is keeping them occupied, yoga, kids
soccer, housework, the gym, TV, Computer.  You need a campaign to get more
people.  Maybe call the local news?  Have them do a story on your need?  How
people can learn gardening, get an excellent work out. It may take a few
seasons to build the people as it does to build the garden and retain the
people too.  The community garden I was working with started out with 40
volunteers, was down to 6 this spring and now has very very few.  Due to
differing beliefs I think.   Just some thoughts
Teresa > From: j...@frontier.net