Bill, I hate to seem argumentative... especially with the ACGA President!
And I'm not arguing, I'm just saying that here in the south life is a
little slower and we're a little more relaxed about things like "rules" and
"specifications" and we have any number of people who feel that government
in general is a waste of time and tax dollars.

Susan, this doesn't go to your question at all, sorry!  I just searched for
community garden design standards for city of Atlanta and they are not
articulated.  We have a clearly defined permitting process and upkeep/bylaw
guidelines, but construction specifications are not available separated out
for gardens.  I imagine they are included in other parks documents but I
wasn't able to lay my hands on them this morning.

That said, in the city of Atlanta, it is possible (and I have done it) to
install a fairly decent community garden in a city park with only paying
the $250 Restoration Bond and then scrounging the rest of the stuff for
free.  In one case, I went on and blew $1,000 on Organic Certification, but
that was just fluff.  Apparently, if you stay away from building things
made of cement, or tapping into a water main, it's possible to steer clear
of contractors and fly below the radar.  Here, at least.

Cheers,
-fgc

Fred Conrad
Community Garden Coordinator
Atlanta Community Food Bank
732 Joseph E Lowery Blvd NW
Atlanta, GA  30318
www.acfb.org
678-553-5932
*Our mission is to fight hunger by engaging, educating and empowering our
community.*

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 6:52 PM, William Maynard <
wmayn...@cityofsacramento.org> wrote:

> Hi Susan
>
> Gardens in city parks are usually required to be built by contractors and
> built to city standards for construction and have a warranty period on
> workmanship. You would need to up your budget to 10x that amount - to
> around $200,000 which would include design, detailed plans, staff time,
> bidding process, labor, materials, inspections and warranty.  I know that's
> very expensive for a garden; but cities usually construct gardens like they
> do playgrounds etc.  we did one volunteer project build but it took almost
> 6 months to complete - we did contract out some portions like the tubular
> steel fence and connecting to the water main etc.
>
> Bill Maynard
> City of Sacramento Community Garden Program

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is
legally privileged and confidential  information intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail message and attachments is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please delete
it in its entirety.