Susan,

Hi, a lot of my local farmer and market gardener friends take a Food Safety
certification course usually referred to as GAP training.
http://www.gaps.cornell.edu/eventscalendar.html#workshops

If you have a market garden and you want to participate in the WIC FMNP
(WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program) they have a mandatory training
before you can accept WIC Vouchers as a farm entity.  I do that one every
year.  It's not a training about how to farm, but if your goal is to get
food you grow to people in need, it's a super cool way to do it.

And for me, because I work with many people with special needs, I took a
certificate course in Horticultural Therapy through the Horticultural
Therapy Institute and have attended the AHTA conference.  Once.  I'd like
to go more often, but you know.  Money.

Lastly, for street credibility, nothing is bigger and louder than organic
certification.  Nothing is more work, either.  This isn't one you'd take a
workshop on, this is one you contact your local certification organization
and start talking.  I've done this three times and it is extremely
educational and will instill in you a profound respect for the USDA
Certified Organic label.  Not a course you take in your spare time, this
one is a daily commitment.  Every day.  Vigilance, planning, record
keeping.  Dates, plot numbers, receipts, affidavits, schedules.  It's a
lifestyle.

My two cents.

-fgc

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Susan Finlayson <su...@wasatchgardens.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I know about the ACGA Conference already, but was wondering if anyone has
> attended other conferences, trainings, or other professional development
> programs that you would recommend for folks in the community garden world.
>
> Thanks and cheers,
>
> Susan
>
> Susan Finlayson
> Community Gardens Program Director
> Wasatch Community Gardens
> 824 S. 400 W., Suite 127
> Salt Lake City, UT 84101
> www.wasatchgardens.org
> (801) 359-2658 x12
> "Empowering people of all ages and incomes to grow and eat healthy,
> organic, local food."
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://list.communitygarden.org/pipermail/community_garden_list.communitygarden.org/attachments/20151209/6cee1cef/attachment.html

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this e-mail message is
legally privileged and confidential  information intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail message and attachments is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please delete
it in its entirety.