Update; after doing some more investigating, looks like some of the Engines
features I really like (namely, code mixing) break in 2.3. For example, even
with the latest Engines plugin installed, helpers aren't being mixed
correctly. I'm going to spend a little more time thinking about how to
proceed (and evaluating whether CE should switch to using the Desert
plugin).
I'm open to feedback or suggestions; but it's a little hard to know exactly
where Rails will go (will they support all of Engines features or not), and
where Engines will go (will it be updated to maintain compatibility with
2.3)?

For now, I'd advise against upgrading CE apps to 2.3, until we get this
figured out.

Thanks,
Bruno