Hi Rolando,

> 1. Imagine we already have a Rails application. It says in Community
> Engine's home page that it can be dropped into an existing
> application. Could someone give me a quick overview of how that
> functionality works?

Assuming your app is running on a compatible version of Rails (it's Rails
3.2.0 for the rails3 branch), you should be able to just add the gem and
follow the installation instructions. Obviously if you have conflicting
models or db tables, you'll have to sort out the issues (i.e. if you
already have a User model and a users table).

Sometimes a better way is to start a blank Rails app, add CE, and then
bring in your existing functionality.

> 2. In our assignment we are trying to run the code in a Heroku
> app. For that, we started with this code:
> https://github.com/bborn/ce-heroku/tree/rails3 . That code works fine
> as it is, however when we try to add new functionality (for example,
> changing the layout of the front page or add new models) to it, we
> found that Community Engine fights back and we cannot add new features
> to it since a variety of errors start popping up. Is it possible to
> use the code in that github repository as a base and add some new
> functionality to it?

It should be, but that repo is pretty out of date (I haven't upgraded it in
a while), so I'd be a little hesitant. I'll to get it updated in the next
few weeks (unless someone else wants to do me a favor and do it instead!)

Thanks,
Bruno