> Is there an easy fix for this?
>
> DEPRECATION WARNING: You have Rails 2.3-style plugins in vendor/plugins!

Not really, we'll have to replace or gem-ify all those plugins before Rails
4.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4901306/how-can-i-mute-rails-3-deprecation-warnings-selectively

> Possibly related, when I do anything with rake it takes an age before it
> gets started and performs the task I asked for. Anyone know what's going on
> with that?

Rails 3 has notoriously slow boot
times<https://www.google.com/search?q=rails+3+slow+startup&aq=0&oq=rails+3+slow+&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3j62l2.2764&sugexp=chrome,mod=1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>.
Even on Ruby 1.9.3, I find it basically intolerable (especially for things
like runnings tests). I suggest using something like Spork or Zeus.