I have found that the acceptable range of versions of paperclip that are
supported by community engine include a code defect that is really blocking
me.

CE currently specifies the paperclip version as: paperclip (~> 2.4.3)

I'm able to use 2.4.5, which is the latest in the 2.4.x series but it has
defective code.

The defect prevents the use of paperclip's validates_attachment_presence
validator with a conditional :if or :unless

Given that I have a model that only requires an image if a textual field is
empty this is a bit of a show-stopper for me.

I'm not sure of which version of paperclip received the fix to this problem
but the github page that shows the checkin for the fix can be found
at
https://github.com/thoughtbot/paperclip/commit/2583a27df497e72ec7a200b6aa707948e88fd166

Paperclip has evolved a lot since 2.4. Perhaps a newer version with better
Rails 3 support would be a good choice?

Thanks!

Dan