I did the following in my case: (may not be the same as in your case)

class Tracking::BaseController < BaseController
  layout 'tracking_base'
end

I assume you can then override in YourBaseController

then have YourController extend YourBaseController

e.g., class TrackingController < Tracking::BaseController

food for thoughts. hope this helps.