Hi Eric

I will be interested in joining in as well. To the list of challenges you may
want to refer to complex discourse structure of the Qur'an which was a source
of confusion for critical English readers and many as such accused Qur'an to be
hopelessly disjoint and a confused jumble. Qur'an
's unique linguistic style which often overrides common grammar rules in terms
of grammatical shifts, gender and person disagreement, etc. also adds to this
challenge. Moreover, the necessity to link to external knowledge -like hadith
and knowledge of the chronogloy of revelation- when understanding a verse also
adds to the challenge.

Another aspect which in my view makes Qur'an interesting and a challenging is
its nature of being -according to Muslims- Words of God, and Quran challenged
the mankind to bring such a text. The challenge thus is: what is the secret
embedded in this Qur'an that makes it a challenge to imitate? Is it linguistic?
Is it content? or both. To this end, other sophisticated statistical and
computational aspects can be considered like the field of 'authorship
attribution' and stylometrics.

Given that the themes of this grand challenge is limited, I found it a bit
tricky to link Qur'anic research to security and terrorism, although this is
the nearest match given these four themes. The reason is mainly because the
term 'terrorism' has no standard definition to which both west and east would
agree. What might be terrorism in the view of US government might not be
terrorism in the view of a Quranic scholar and as such this opens the door for
personalized understanding of the Qur'an.

Nevertheless, we can always restrict our research to the computational
linguistic circle with a disclaimer that full understanding of the Qur'an needs
more holistic approach beyond just linguistic analysis.

Abdul-Baquee M. Sharaf
PhD Student
Language Technologies Group
School of Computing