Salam Idris,

I do think that this is an excellent idea, and this is something that
I have often thought about myself. Hopefully this could be a useful
resource that might be incorporated as a future part of the Quranic
Arabic Corpus, at a later stage. I've sent this e-mail to the wider
discussion list, since as you say below this may be useful and
interesting to discuss with other researchers. A good way to approach
this might be through word-sense tagging. Something similar that I
have proposed in the past, is a related project that we might consider
one day: "Quranic Arabic WordNet". This could be similar to English
WordNet, at Princeton University:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WordNet

Since the original WordNet was developed, similar projects have been
produced for several other languages, including a good attempt for
Modern Standard Arabic. The idea for the Quran, would be to group
related words into sets, and show how these different sets are related
semantically. You are indeed correct - this could result in a new and
interesting search for the Quran for students and researchers. I don't
think that this would be a very difficult task for someone else to
pick up. But we don't need to start from scratch. We already have a
word-by-word dictionary, of sorts, through the interlinear translation
on the website:

http://corpus.quran.com/qurandictionary.jsp

In addition, the words in the Quranic Arabic corpus are already
organized according to root, and then further subdivded by lemma.
According to the Quranic Arabic Corpus website, the current tagging of
the Quran indicates that there are 3,673 unique lemmas:

http://corpus.quran.com/lemmas.jsp

For the Quran, this is only 2.5% of the 150,000 unique words modelled
by English WordNet. Still, not a trivial task, although I think
achievable within a reasonable time frame, as part of an interesting
and useful future research project. This might be part of a wider deep
dictionary of the Quran, which not only lists word definitions by root
then lemma (as per other Arabic dictionaries), but then also relates
sets of lemmas in the style of WordNet. There is also the possiblity
of saving time by relating word sets automatically through statistical
analysis, which could then form the basis of a Quranic Arabic WordNet
which could be verified and then compiled in its final form manually.

Certaintly something interesting to think about.

Kind Regards,

-- Kais Dukes

Language Research Group
School of Computing