>Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:29:20 -0800 (PST)
>From: Dave Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>This Mac has the same ports as the 128k (and 512k) but has 2mb of
>RAM.  The SCSI
>port is where the battery door was.
>
>Is this in fact a Plus motherboard or a modified 128k/512k/512ke
>board?  I haven't
>openend it up yet to see what the motherbaord looks like so I
>thought I would ask
>here.  It does have the 800k internal disk drive.  Sadly, the
>external SCSI port in
>the battery door location is not working...

It is a pre-Plus board with one or two upgrades installed.  A Plus
board will have DIN8 (round) serial ports.  A Mac 128K, 512K, or
512KE will have DB9 (two rows of pins in a trapezoid) serial ports.

There were separate memory upgrades and SCSI upgrades.  The memory
upgrades typically installed by removing a couple of chips from the
memory circuitry, installing raised sockets and plugging the memory
upgrade into that.   The SCSI upgrades I have seen were installed by
removing the ROM chips, plugging the SCSI upgrade into the ROM
sockets and plugging the ROM chips into sockets on the SCSI board.

There were probably other versions which clipped over the CPU.

Several companies made a combined upgrade.  These clipped over the
existing CPU and provided memory expansion and a SCSI bus.  Some
included a faster 68000 CPU, or even a 68030 chip.   There were a few
that included video circuitry for a separate monitor.    Brands
included Dove, Marathon, Gemini (brand or model?), Applied
Engineering (I think, hazy here), and Newlife.

I was fond of the Newlife upgrades for the 512KE because RAM was very
expensive back then and the Newlife upgrade has eight SIMM sockets.
So, on a Mac 512KE you could get to 4 MB by installing two expensive
(like $80 each) 1 MB SIMMs, and six inexpensive ($5 each or free)
256K SIMMs.   That added to the RAM on the motherboard took the
machine to 4 MB.

The Newlife upgrade had its own 68000 CPU on board but it was not any
faster than the Mac CPU.  The guys at Newlife explained that it was
just easier to put the Mac CPU to sleep and have their own CPU on
their board than it was to arrange to use the Mac CPU.   68000 chips
were under $10 back then, IIRC.

Newlife also had an upgrade which I could never afford.  It installed
in a Plus or 512KE and provided a fast 68030, memory expansion, SCSI
and video out.   I really wanted that one.   I think it's memory
could go to 16 MB.   The Mac ROM didn't support more than 4 MB, but
the way I understood it, the extra memory became a RAM disk, and then
one took advantage of the 68030's PMMU to implement virtual memory
which turned around and used the RAM disk for its scratch space, thus
turning the extra RAM into available RAM in an bass-ackwards kind of
way.  One had to have Connectix's "Virtual" to make this work.

It's possible that the board that supports your SCSI upgrade has
simply popped loose and would function if reseated.   Note, that you
can't slide the motherboard out in most machine that have an upgrade
installed, because the board is too tall.   You must sort of ply one
edge of the logic board out of the rails and tilt the board out of
the chassis.

Many Mac Pluses were Beige.  The later ones were platinum.

Jeff Walther