Another report on D programming.   It appears that D programs are about
1.5X slower in general - at least for what I'm doing.

At one point I reported about 7% slower, but that was a mistake on my
part.

The difference in programming effort and just plain clean code is quite
large - D was well designed and after doing a lot of programming in D,
it's a real drag going back to C!

But it appears that you can have your cake and eat it too by just making
a low level library in C,  and doing most of the other stuff in D.    D
and C are link compatible and there is no effort in making this work -
it just works.

I have indeed been able to experiment more quickly and easily doing it
in D, so I have come up with what seems like a nice formula:

  1.  Start by doing everything in D.
  2.  Optimize and experiment.
  3.  When you are happy,  redo the low level stuff in C.   It will
link
      right in.
  4.  You can still continue to experiment.

Porting to C from D is quite easy because D is pretty much a cleaned up
version of C.   It's easy to make this port when you know exactly what
you want.

I've been able to do a substantial amount of experimentation using D and
the D program is now just slightly faster than the old C program due to
the improved
data structures.    I should be able to get close to 25,000 games per
second if
I get the 1.5 X improvement going to C.   This is only about 3K of code
that will
have to be written in C,  where much of the code is identical to C
anyway.

- Don