Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Lewis & Clark College
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

On Jan 12, 2007, at 8:45 AM, terry mcintyre wrote:

From http://senseis.xmp.net/?7x7BestPlay it looks like 7x7 Go
may already have been solved. 5x5 was solved in 2002, according
to http://erikvanderwerf.tengen.nl/5x5/5x5solved.html

AFAIK, 9x9 Go has not been solved yet. 19x19 Go will surely exceed the capabilities of computers in my lifetime, I suspect.

 -- Terry McIntyre

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Fant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 8:16:35 AM
Subject: Re: [computer-go] Can Go be solved???... PLEASE help!

Seems like a silly title.  Any game of perfect information that has a
clear rule set can be solved.  Plus, some would argue that any Go
already is solved (write simple algorithm and wait 1 billion years
while it runs).  A better question is, "Can Computer Go Surpass Human
Go?"  But again, clearly it will.  It's just a question of how long
until it occurs.