At 11:10 AM 1/15/2007, Magnus Persson wrote:
>Quoting Dave Dyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>I wonder if MC programs shouldn't prune game branches when
>>sufficiently large captures occur.  The loss/win might not
>>be strictly allocated to the right player, but it certainly
>>means that the current game has entered sillyspace.
>
>Are you talking about pruning a full board search tree or deep down a
>simulation?

Lets say that in your MC game a 20 point group is captured (on a 81 point
board).  There isn't any additional real information to be gleaned from
this branch, so you might as well assign it to the capturing player.

Suppose you have a realistic endgame position with two large
groups that are actually alive with correct play.  In a MC game,
a lot of games that start with incorrect play will pretty rapidly
capture one of the big groups, and then spend hundreds of moves
filling in the empty space.  Is anything really learned from that
exercise?