According to the presenter, the problems covered a range of
difficulty from purely random boards to easy problems to hard
problems. All of the problems shown to the subjects were not
given in the paper. The same set of problems were shown to all
subjects.

It would be difficult, but not impossible to conduct a tournament
with the participants inside an MRI machine. MRI machine time
is worth something like $2000 per hour, so cost would add up
quickly.

I agree, it would be very interesting to see if brain volume usage
goes up at the same time the pro uses lots of time.

Cheers,
David