terry mcintyre wrote:
If I recall correctly, someone spoke of constraining the opening moves to the 3rd,4th,and 5th lines in the absence of nearby stones, or something to that effect. What was the impact of this experiment?

For what it's worth, I tried a number of experiments along these lines and none of them produced any improvement in play whatsoever. I'm still baffled by this. Sylvain says, both in his paper and in a message posted here, that it seems that one must try to constrain moves based on sequences of moves rather than individual moves in isolation. All rather mysterious to me.

-Richard